Reducing our carbon footprint
Our ambition is to become the leading communications group on environmental issues by reducing our impact. To this end, Havas is working hard to reduce its direct emissions with an ambitious objective of exceeding the European Union’s target of a 55% reduction by 2030.Our environmental strategy
Our environmental strategy
In line with our commitments, we have implemented an environmental policy that is guided by the following priorities.
Within the Group:
- Meet our legal obligations and stakeholder expectations
- Reduce energy consumption
- Improve waste management
- Monitor the use of natural resources (water, paper…)
- Prevent pollution
- Improve the carbon footprint of employees
- Train our employees on the various aspects of responsible communication
- Change our technologies / invest in more energy-efficient technologies
For our clients, guiding them in their transformation:
- Measure and manage the GHG emissions associated with the creation and broadcasting of our campaigns
- Promote eco-campaigns
- Engage their stakeholders, notably by giving a significant role to campaigns that help raise public awareness and accelerate the ecological transition
Havas, part of Vivendi
Vivendi is committed to help combat climate change. Their carbon reduction targets have been approved in March 2023 by Science-Based Targets and are aligned with the Paris Agreement.
All Vivendi entities including Havas are now fully complying with the newly-SBTi-approved plan which now replaces all other plans and engagements previously in place.
Furthermore the CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project), the global benchmark in environmental rating for companies, awarded Vivendi an A- score in 2022. While the CDP has strengthened its criteria, the Group has moved up three levels compared to previous years (C in 2021) and now scores above the average for companies in its sector2 (B) and European companies (B).
Our environmental roadmap
- Reduce our non-essential travel and compensating our flight GHG emissions when possible
- Scout renewable energy solutions for our agencies
- Increase energy efficiency programmes in our Villages
- Implement recycling systems in our agencies
- Set up plans to reduce paper use and increase document digitisation
- Reduce single-use plastic use
Our low-carbon products and services
A key element to our bold environmental strategy is the Havas Meaningful Impact programme. An initiative that seeks to manage and reduce the GHG emissions of our products and services. We do it by implementing eco-friendly practices in the production and broadcast of our campaigns, as well as adopting carbon calculators to measure GHG emissions.
Havas Climate Solidarity
Launched in 2018, this initiative offers the possibility to our clients to contribute financially to offset their carbon footprint due to the production of a campaign. We partner with Pur Projet on ecosystem restoration through agroforestry, land restoration and forest conservation offsetting projects in Peru and France.
Havas Carbon Impact
Havas Media France implemented the first Carbon Impact Calculator for its clients’ multi-media campaigns in 2020. The agency now informs its partners of the carbon impact of their campaigns and proposes environmentally friendly solutions.